On this page you will find information on how to download published ISIMIP output data from the ISIMIP node of the ESGF. The procedure is analogous to downloading official CMIP5
data from other ESGF nodes.
The ISIMIP ESGF Portal is located here esg.pik-potsdam.de.
When it comes to downloading data, please take the following prerequisites into account:
- An ESGF OpenID is required. If you already have one please proceed with step 2), otherwise create a new account with the Link “Create Account” on the main page of the website. New OpenIDs are managed by out partner node at DKRZ. It's is also possible to create an OpenID on a different ESGF node (e.g. pcmdi.lnll.gov) because the accounts work federation wide. When choosing your username and entering your personal details don't make use of special characters as the ESGF nodes won't let you log in otherwise. After successful creation of your account you will receive an email to remember your OpenID. Your account will be active immediately.
Obtaining a wget script from the server
These scripts will automatically download all the selected files (up to 1000 at a time) to a Linux or MacOS machine. This is the standard procedure for downloading data sets from ESGF data nodes.
- Put the data sets of interest into your Data Cart (Add to Cart). You can subselect a variable by making use of the search text box in the data cart view.
- On the Data Cart tab you can then download the wget script by clicking on WGET or WGET All Selected
(no need to be logged in at this point).
- Save that file to the folder
you want the data to be downloaded to. Please keep in mind that one
single download script is capable of retrieving only 1000 files. Please consider working with multiple wget scripts if you are
interested in a broader subset of the ISIMIP Fast Track data.
- Executing the script in a console on your machine will download the federation's keystore, prompt you for your OpenID and password and finally start downloading the files into the current directory. All files are checksum checked to prove their integrity. Make sure you have Oracle Java, version 1.7 or newer installed on your machine, otherwise the script will stop with an error message.
If you are working on a Windows installation or only need to download a very few files, you can also receive the data directly from the website. Then, the procedure is the same as described above in the group enrollment section (test download).
If you run into issues with the data regarding their formating or internal structure please don’t hesitate to contact us.