All data users and contributers should be aware of the following workflow:
Note: 'embargo period' is the time up until the acceptance deadline for the IPCC Special Report on the impacts of 1.5°C global warming (April, 2018)
- Once your simulations are ready and you upload your data to the DKRZ server, an initial quality check will be conducted, to ensure that the files adhere to the ISIMIP file format.
- You will be contacted when the quality check is complete. Your data will then be immediately available for use by other ISIMIP2b participants on the DKRZ server. Authors of papers submitted during the embargo period, in which your data are used, are obliged to offer co-authorship to a representative of your modelling team.
- When the quality check is complete, you will be asked if your data can now be transferred to the ISIMIP node of the ESGF, making them publicly available. As for internal use of your data, all authors (including non-ISIMIP scientists) of papers submitted during the embargo period, in which your data are used, are obliged to offer co-authorship to a representative of your modelling team.
- Authors of papers submitted during the embargo period should offer co-authorship to the sector coordinators for the sectors relevant to the paper.
Addendum (22 December, 2016): applicable to all simulation data submitted for the ISIMIP Fast Track, ISIMIP2a, future simulation rounds, and for ISIMIP2b data submitted after April, 2018:
- For all data uploaded to the ISIMIP repository at DKRZ, the initial quality check will be conducted.
- You will be contacted once the quality check is complete and your simulation data will immediately be made available to all ISIMIP modelling groups and associated scientists.
- When the quality check is complete, you will be asked if your data can now be transferred to the ISIMIP node of the ESGF server, making them publicly available without restriction, and not subject to co-authorship restrictions. You will be given the option to delay publication of your simulation data by up to one year following the successful quality check.
- Whilst it is central to the goals of ISIMIP that the simulation data be made available for use beyond the immediate ISIMIP modelling community, in the case of exceptional circumstances, such as relating to commercial proprietary restrictions, data can be kept only on the internal ISIMIP (DKRZ) server. In this case, the availability of the data will be noted on the ISIMIP website, allowing interested parties to request access.
- You are free to use your own model’s simulation data at any time for any purpose you deem fit.