The JRC is located in 5 Member States (Belgium, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands and Spain). Further information is available at: https://ec.europa.eu/jrc/
The vacancy is within the Bio-Economy Unit, (located in Ispra, Italy), which provides scientific support to EU policies related to the bio-economy such as the sustainable production as well as the use of biological resources and the conversion to value added products, such as food, feed, bioenergy and bio-based products.
We are looking for a researcher to contribute to the further development and implementation of the forest growth models as part of the wider forest sector modelling suite of the Unit, in the context of the wider bio-economy and environmental threats (e.g. climate change).
The activity is framed within the assessment and modelling of existing and future forest resources in Europe, with a focus on biomass supply and demand (and the associated environmental impacts) under given policy scenarios.
The envisaged work will consist of:
- Further developing, maintaining and running forest growth models available in the Unit (e.g. Carbon Budget Model).
- Calibrating the model/s for the full set of EU countries, also liaising with the consortium of National Forest Inventories in charge of providing relevant data and supporting model developments.
- Working on the links and feedback loops with the Global Forest Trade Model and other sectorial models of the bio-economy in order to implement projections. of forest biomass supply and demand scenarios.
- Produce scientific publications.
Experience working with forest growth models, large environmental datasets and hands on experience with scientific programming (e,g R, Python) and Geographical Information Systems will be considered assets.
Good knowledge of spoken and written English (B2) is required.
Relevant publications and presentations should be highlighted.
The candidate must be on a valid EPSO reserve list for Function Group IV contract staff.
Applicants to the following Calls for expression of interest can also be considered:
- CAST Permanent - EPSO has launched in January 2017 an open-ended selection procedure to create a pool of candidates from which the institutions, bodies, offices and agencies of the European Union (EU) can recruit contract agents. Details available at the link below: https://epso.europa.eu/documents/2240_en
- Call COM/1/2015/GFIV – Research - The JRC has launched in January 2015 a permanent call for researchers FG IV. Details available at the link: https://ec.europa.eu/jrc/en/working-with-us/jobs/vacancies/function-group-IV-researchers
Please note that due to the high number of applications received only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.